In Montenegro, legal profession is an independent and autonomous activity of providing legal aid to physical and legal persons.
Legal profession may be only practiced by a lawyer who had obtained degree in Bachelor of Laws (4 years course).
A lawyer can be enlisted as the attorney-at-law upon the passing of the bar and attorney exams, and following the admission to the Bar Association.
Autonomy and independence of profession of the attorney-at-law is provided by:
- Independent performance of the legal profession.
- The client's right to free choice of attorney-at-law.
- Organization of attorneys-at-law in the Bar Association of Montenegro, as autonomous and independent organizations of attorneys-at-law.
- Adoption of general legislation by the Bar Associations.
- Deciding on admission to the Bar Associations and the termination of the right to practice law under the reference of the attorney-at-law.
Provision of legal aid includes:
- Providing oral and written legal advice and opinions.
- Writing petitions, requests, suggestions, applications, legal remedies, and submissions.
- Drafting contracts, testaments, settlements, statements, general and individual acts and other documents.
- Representation and defense of individuals and legal entities.
- Mediation for the purpose of concluding a legal transaction or the peaceful settlement of disputes and contentious relationships.
- Providing other legal aid on behalf of national or foreign physical or legal persons, based o which to exercise their rights and protect freedom and other interests.